One person and pet killed in Oneco house fire
ONECO - The Southern Manatee Fire Department investigates fire in Oneco that claimed the life of one person and a pet.
The call came just after 4 p.m. when a passerby called 911 to alert them of smoke coming from a home in the 1200 block of 51st Avenue East. When crews arrived they discovered the body of one persons and their dog inside the home.
Deputy Chief Rick Blanco says the fire was quickly extinguished and did not damage the home.
"The amount of damage of the structure appears to be limited to a room and content and just to a bedroom area of the home," said Deputy Chief Blanco. "The rest of the home is intact, smoke damage throughout though, but no structural damage and the fire did not go beyond the structure.”
The identity of the individual or cause of death has not been reported at this time. Deputy Chief Blanco reports the dog died of smoke inhalation.